Wednesday, June 2, 2010

FRIDAY:

Rach and I woke up at 6:15ish and we left the apartment at 7:01…right on time. Shai had told us that a cab would cost around 160 sheks to Ein Gedi, but when we went to both of the taxi places, they said 250. After deciding if it would be worth us to pay 250 each (125 each way), we decided to go for it. It was so worth it. The taxi driver was a little crazy because he was passing people and speeding when going down the the huge, dangerous road. On the way down, we saw bikers going up it. They were crazy. We finally get to Ein Gedi and it was cool to remember sitting at the entrance before when I was on tour. This time though, it was just me and rach going. After paying and getting a map, off we went! In Israel there aren’t squirrels, but an animal similar to them and there were so many of them running around or climbing trees eating fruits. Rach and I talked to one of them…We walked pass some of the smaller waterfalls and then got to David’s waterfall. I wanted to go in that, but as we got closer we saw that there was a sign saying not to because of falling rocks. Rach and I sat there in our sweaty clothes for a bit and it was so beautiful. There was this side stream and with all the bubbles it looked like milk was coming down from the rock. The waterfall also was just so high up and beautiful. Neither of us wanted to go, but we did. We hiked up really high and I might have peed on the path. We then weren’t sure where the path was that we wanted and after going up to something ancient (maybe a Temple?) and then going back down it to go on the other path, we then decided to go back and realizd as we were going back down to where all the water was that we must have passed the path way before. Still, we decided to go back and then some people were at the waterfall everyone plays in. We first went into the other place after Rachel had some issues with her shorts (hahahahaha). After putting our head backs into the waterfall and letting it massage us and take off all of our sweat, we got out so we could start to head back and dry off. While we were trying to leave, we kept on bumping into school fieldtrips. It was so hot out and Rach and I both were so happy that we got an early start. Then we laid in the sun for a bit to dry off.

After going pee and eating, we headed to the main road where we wanted to catch a taxi. We decided that for the heck of it we should hitch hike. After getting a truck that was going to Masada, we called Julia to ask of she could give us a taxi number. While Rach was on the phone with her, a car full of creepy guys pulled over and after shooing them away, Rach misunderstood another car and shooed them away too (she thought they said they were going to Masada.) I was telling her that we need to wave a taxi down and not stick our finger out. She said that it didn't matter and the signs were for both getting a taxi and hitchhiking. Then we saw a taxi coming our way, and it stopped. We asked him how much it would cost if he took us back to Arad. He said he can't take us there, because he isn't going that way, but can take us to the end of the road, for free. Not sure if we heard the taxi driver right, we still didn't ask again and just got into the car. The end of the road meant like nearly a half hour. I was wondering why he would do that, and noticed how on the side of the road there was nothing-not even bus stops. I thought that he would drop us off by the Dead Sea, so then he can get actual business. He drove right passed Masada and the Dead Sea. Eventually, I just shut my eyes, but Rach hit my foot and shook her head, I nodded, realizing with her that we weren't getting this ride for free. I shut my eyes again and then she hits me again and shakes her head, again. She then told me not to sleep. That was why she was shaking her head, not because the taxi wasn't free!! Right when we reach the fork between the road up to Be'er Sheva and Arad and the road going to the left towards Eilat, he let us out. Yes, we did hitchhike with a taxi driver. How many people can say that?! The guy was so nice. He could have easily charged us!! After a few minutes of sticking our fingers out, we then got a ride with this man to Arad. He was heading somewhere and he had to drive through Arad. He practiced his English with us and then asked if the music was good, why would we care! He didn't however, ask if he could smoke, but obviously we weren't complaining. It was such a pretty view. He also, was a more cautious driver than the taxi drivers.

We got dropped off in the center of town, which is about a 10 minute walk from our apartment. Perfect. We ended up only spending 150 sheks for a taxi altogether, rather than 250. Made the trip so much more worth it. Plus, we got to hitchhike for our last time on YC (hopefully I wll hitchhike again with people when I am back in Israel!) When we got home we showered and then we began to cut up many vegetables for Shabbat dinner.We had to cook everything for shabbat. We cut up veggies for the stir fry and potatoes. Rach cut up most of the raw meat, but I did a package, too!! Nicola took the cutting knife she bought at the beginning of the year, and so since all the other knifes are bad, we used Rachel's swiss army knife. After cutting up and preparing everything, we hung out for a bit and also napped. Eventually, we started to get things cooking and Katie and Julia came over with the food they made. Later, Boaz came, but he had to take a taxi from Be'er Sheva to Arad, because he missed the last bus, which sucked. It was sad to think about- this would be the last time of seeing him, at least while I am on Year Course.

After lighting Shabbat candles, we had Boaz do Kiddush, we washed our hands and then said the Hamotzi. So much food and for some reason some of us were not so hungry. It was still a nice shabbat dinner. After cleaning up, we all just sat on the couches on computers, too tired to do anything. I think I was sleeping by 11 we all were exhausted-especially Boaz. The day before he had a white night meaning he was up and being active for 26 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment