Thursday, June 3, 2010

MONDAY:
We had to wake up around 7ish because breakfast was at 8 and we had to pack up before breakfast because we were supposed to be out of our rooms by 8:30 with our bags. That didn't happen. But right before I go into the dining hall I see a man walking down the stairs, and I do a double take. He also stares at me. It ended up being Rabbi Daniel!! After he realized that it was me he told me that he had just seen my parents. He was there leading a Detroit Birthright. I didn't really recognize any of them. We took a picture together on someone's camera. I was looking pretty tired because of the few hours of sleep I got. He told me that some JAMDer's were staying at the Hostel also because they had an open shabbat. I was a little bummed that I didn't see them.

After breakfast and not finding the key to our room, we had to bring all of our stuff up and we had our sikum things with our Madrichim from Jerusalem and then Arad. With Moran we picked someone's name and then told a memory we have with them. Rachel got me. Moran also brought with her the broken pitcher meant for Boaz's family that I had kept in Emma's apartment. For Shai's we were given a notebook where we could have people sign it. Rach did her typical thing of having people sign a shirt of hers. I couldn't find one of my gross v-necks and so Katie gave me the shirt she was wearing and I gave her mine. After writing in people's memory books, having people sign me, and writing some plane letters, we all had to go to the Beit Knesset. Yael told us what was going to be happening for the rest of the day and then she updated us on why the Old City was off limits for us. She also told us that we are kind of on lockdown, but luckily this was not happening when we were able to roam around freely. She told us also that she doesn't think people should go to Jordan or Egypt-because some people are staying in Israel longer to travel. Then Katie spoke! Her speech was so good and everyone loved it and found it funny. Joel showed his YC video he put together, which was unbelievable. Then after some more talking, it was lunch.

Omer, Boaz's good friend, wanted to stop by again to give me a CD he made for me. After talking to Boaz on the phone for the last time :( I had lunch. We then had to go start reloading the trucks. I first put a lot more clothes in my bags and so my carry-ons were so light! Then we were given free time for a few hours. Around 2ish we were told to get our deposit back and return our cellphones. I made my last phone calls. I got my grades back too. I got 10 sheks taken out of my deposit because some girls (one no longer on the program) burnt a table in Jerusalem-or it was one of her friends, so the whole apartment got 10 sheks taken out of their deposit. Only an ice cream, but annoying because I didn't do it! Some people had to go to different places, but I was to stay in the Hostel. Omer told me he would come around a certain time, so right when I left the room I was in to go wait by the gate, Kai had led him to me! We talked for a bit and he gave me a CD with a nice note on it. After saying bye, again, I put the CD in and there are 102 songs on it!!! My battery was really low so I had to prioritize and tried to get some of the songs on my ipod. I kept on deleting songs to add more songs, but then the first songs kept on being added, rather than new ones that weren't added before...that didn't make sense, but I understand what I am trying to say!! I wrote some more plane letters and around 5ish we had to get on buses to go to our final Sikum with all 3 sections. When we got there I saw nathan (יום הולדת סמח נתן וסתפעני!!!!!!) and a few others before we went inside. I sat next to Rach and Benji. There were some speakers and thank yous. It got kind of boring. Then we had 30 minutes before one bus left and then an hour before my bus left. It was so sad to say bye. Especially to the brits, where communicating with them will be harder. Monica was the one who made me start crying hard when she was leaving. I also kept on seeing couples saying bye to each other, which also made me cry. Eventually when it was my turn to leave, it was so hard saying bye to everyone--I was wreck with Benji and Moran.

It was hard looking outside and seeing Jerusalem and then leaving it. It is weird to kind of know where I am going because I have made this trip so many times! I usually never look outside my window and know where we are (previous to going on YC) but now I did! When we got to the airport, it really did seem like full circle. I remember going on a bus here and getting my cell phone and sitting alone, nervous about the decision I had made and calling home to let them know I got to Israel just fine.

Checking in my bags took a long time and my cart wheel got twisted and I was stuck and kept on being surrounded by people. Finally someone helped me. Just to note that the carts at the Ben-Gurion airport were free, but in JFK it cost money. After I got checked in, all the scouts were waiting for us. I sat with Rach and Shir and it was weird and hard for the scouts because a new batch of people kept on coming and then saying bye and leaving them to make room for a new group of people. It was hard saying bye to them and I really hope I keep in touch with Shir and Maya. Once we got through security (with water and without taking shoes off!) we ran to the gate where people were leaving for New Jersey. We said bye to the people on that plane and after went to Duty Free. After changing into my genie pants, I got onto the plane and sat next to Haley, the girl I sat next to on the way to Israel. It is so funny how now we are friends. It is really a brain game trying to figure out how it can work out so friends can sit with each other. Rach and I got to sit next to each other, but Naomi and Katie were sitting on the other side of the plane :(

I slept really well on Rachel. We got woken up for dinner and I just remember eating this good sandwich, but unable to keep my eyes open! I really have changed on YC. Before this year, I would never fall asleep without putting my retainers in...this time I only did it after I had woken up!!! I hung out with katie and Noomi for a bit and watched parts of movies (Valentine's Day and Dear John--I saw both of them), talked and ate. When the plane landed, Rach and I were squeezing each other's hands. It was sad when we landed. We were no longer in Israel.

No comments:

Post a Comment