When Ashley and I got back I ate and did some stufffff (like sign up for things, talk with boaz (so he can get to know me), and attempted to watch gossip girl...it still doesnt really work!), and then i took an hour nap. Yes, mom, i do get a lot of napping time. I love it! Naps are so nice! I then had to get up because we had a Shevet meeting. We had mincha and then chose an option to go to. Some of the options were to learn about Yom Kippur and Rosh hashanah in the Bible, why is Yom Kippur the happiest day of the year, learning tefillah, and one more that i cant remember. I chose to go to the learning tefillah one. I really liked it because the Rabbi gave me helpful tips to learn my prayers in hebrew and to understand what they are saying. One thing I'm gonna do if buy a siddur that has the english under each word. I cant wait to get it! I also will go to services on friday night at this one shul on emek refiem that spends a lot of time on saying the words of the prayer (reading the prayers slowly). This will allow me to participate and practice.
After that, one of the other classes were starting after, and so rach and i just went to that one too. It was the why is Yom Kippur the happiest day of the year. I really enjoyed what the man had to say. He wanted us to write down what we would want people to say about us at our eulogy (we had to do that as an assignment freshman year), think about my strengths, think about what things i have achieved, and think about my bad habits. We are supposed to keep a list, but I'm too lazy to that (which is a little ironic because one of my bad habits is being lazy! haha). Then what we are supposed to do for Yom Kippur is decide to focus on one bad habit we have and work on breaking it for the year. He made it seem possible to break a habit. One out of the few examples he gave us was about stopping the habit of lashon harahing (gossiping). Pick 5 or 10 minutes of each day to not gossip and stick to a certain. During that time, no matter who you are with, you cannot gossip. You then can eventually do it for longer periods of time...but slowly do this. By changing our bad habits one at a time, Yom Kippur is a time to rejoice at the positives we have done. We have taken a negative and gave a positive. This is why on Yom Kippur during the times of the Temple, one goat was killed as an offering for God and another goat (identical to the other one), was thrown off a cliff for Satan (not really Satan though...). The reason why they did that was to acknowledge the bad and how bad gives us an opportunity to do good. One other thing i learned was that Yom Kippurim is a day of happiness, hence the "purim" in the name. I love learning things like this! I'm so happy I chose shevet.
After those classes I came back to the apartment and eventually I kind of helped cook dinner (i just diced an onion), but at least i was in the kitchen! I also cut myself up a carrot and dipped it in hummus. With the progress I have been making I think I will be able to cook meat next week (jk...there is no way i will be able to do that.) After dinner (which was hamburgers, sweet potatoes, and potato stuffed in bread (what's it called?)), we got ready to go to ben yehuda. Rach, Britty, and me went to ben yehuda until 11:45ish. Rach felt like dressing like a seminary girl and we decided to find it funny to pretend she is shomer negiah to the people we were meeting up with. They actually believed us and asked why she chose to go on shevet, instead of shelem, and why she chose year course over a seminary. We pretended she prayed every morning. When we said bye to the people, one of the guys hugged all of us and when he went to hug rachel he touched her a little and rach just kind of backed away awkwardly and he was like "omg i forgot your shomer..." One of the guys kept on making jokes about her elbows (her shirt sometimes revealed her elbows). When we left I texted one of the guys to let him know (and everyone else we were with) that we were just messing with them. They did not find it as funny as we did. They were like "she just embarrassed herself." We were like "not at all!" it was so so so funny. We got back around 12ish and then went to bed. I have to wake up at 6:45 tomorrow morning. great.

1. what school are you at, and where is it?
ReplyDelete2. i want to see the siddur you are referring to, sounds great
3. in an earlier blog, you mentioned the need for hebrew-english dictionaries - that is a project someone could do around here with more info. pass it along
4. interesting what you learned about yom kippur and habits,etc. now, how do you think the guys felt you were messing with? and, what does that say about religious girls - you were all kind of making fun of them even though that may not have been your intention. have to think about unintended or unanticipated consequences of our actions - that's my new thing these days. trying to think these through myself. so, just making an obvsee here (short for observation, don't think the abbrev worked!) sorry to get too preachy. it's the holidays, can't help it.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo mom