When we got back from volunteering I hung out with some girls and took a little nap. After my nap I went to ulpan for 2 and a half hours. Today went well. It was good review--we go over so much each class. Luckily, I already know most of it. We went over some foods and although i learned foods, i had forgotten them. But, we also did question words such as what, when, what time, where, from where, to where. People didnt know what some of those words were. I guess they learned things differently so they probably know certain things i dont know? But how can you not know the basic question words?! I dont think many people have heard of Debbie Freidman! haha. We also did some writing, that part was easy. I like the class because in the workbook i can read the directions in hebrew and understand what to do. I try not to write any english in my workbook and if she tells us what a word is, i write it in my notebook. The workbook is nice though because it has a list of words and we write what they mean in english on the side. I feel much more organized and it is easier for me to read the word when it is typed than in my own handwriting. Our homework is to write 16 sentences with 16 vocab words we have learned. Before class ended, we had a missile and a fire drill. Those are 2 out of the four things. The other two are terrorist and earthquake.
I then had to run to my apartment to grab my books for my biblical rebels class. The class wasnt as bad but it still was pretty bad. One of the major problems is our teacher does not have a set plan and there really isnt any organization. Today was more of a discussion which was good, but i still like there to be some order and point to such discussions. There was only 7 of us and i know that a few are for sure dropping out. One girl who already did drop out said she loved her other class. I feel bad dropping out, but this class wasnt my first choice and if people are getting into my first choice class, i also want to be in it.
After class I came home and for dinner i made a grilled cheese and just ate little snacks and nuts. I then returned grocery carts we took for groceries back to the grocery store with Katie and Kai. We took them to the wrong place but we think we found the right grocery store. When we got back I showered and got ready to go to emek refiem because there was an art festival happening tonight.
Britty, Katie, Julia, and me walked to emek refiem. It was so cool and so hippyish. They were like 5 stages spread out and it was cool because by the time you got to the other stage you couldnt hear what the other performers were playing. It was huge! There was a lot of good smelling food and really cool jewelry. I saw this one necklace and took a picture of it. It cost 100 sheks, but I have so many beautiful necklaces that i love but never wear (because i like wearing the same necklace(s) until they fall apart). I decided to call my mom because i thought she maybe could talk me out of it. She did just the opposite! She told me to buy it and her and bubbie can take it back home for me if i dont want it in israel. thanks mom! (being sarcastic). So i bought the necklace! I love it and after much thinking i have decided to take off my other necklaces when i go out and wear that one. Buying this necklace made me miss all of my other necklaces and earrings. I might have to have you (mom and bubbie) bring me some of them.
I am so mad that i didnt bring my camera. Out of all the nights!! It was so cool. There were weird people who were dressed absurdly. There was a guy who was on stilts that looked like the tin man from Wizard of Oz. There were these weird models that dont speak and dont pay attention to the public. Others acted like clowns. And i cannot explain how many stands their were of beautiful artwork and great smelling food. I saw some beautiful mezuzahs, i cannot wait until i have my own house (dont worry mom and dad, it wont be SO soon) and i can go shopping for mezuzahs and Jewish artwork. anyways, right when things started closing britty and i really wanted a potato with melted cheese on it. They were selling them there! We found the stand and were so excited. IT WAS SO GOOD. i really miss baked potatoes! We then left and met a couple of kids. Britty and i talked to them for about 10 minutes. It was about 11:30 when we got back to our apartment. About 10 minutes after we got back a kid from our program comes in with a friend (who is a girl) of his. she is also on the program and is going through a difficult and needed to come to jerusalem for a day. She needed somewhere to stay and since rach and i have a trundle, we are letting her stay here for the night. Hopefully she will be okay.
ps- im so jealy (inside joke with jacque and mom?) of everyone who can watch gossip girl! a roomie of mine from france knows a good website to watch it from. i have to wait until tomorrow though!
xoxo gerusalem girl (sorry if that's not funny...im tired)

jess - your blogs continue to be entertaining and informative. we all love the material. inside jokes and all. my advice today: be assertive, be be assertive - get the class you want. you have limited time so don't feel bad. if it doesn't work out, at least you tried. how is the girl in crisis? xo
ReplyDelete