Monday, January 18, 2010

SUNDAY:
I had to wake up at 8:20 and was so so so tired. Instead of getting divided up into apartments, we were all together. Before it started, I had a laughing attack with Katie about her weekend (she cycled the Kinneret with Michal, Rach, and Leah). It seems like she got a bite on her eye making it red and swollen. It looks so funny. Leah also told me a hilarious story about her. Crazy, Crazy. We then got our schedule and were told about the Purim parade in holon...we were asked to dress up or participate in it. I won't be missing that opportunity!! After the meeting we hung around there for a little because at 10 I had zman shevet. We learned about the mezuzah. Nothing too new. Then we always are given an optional project, so I made my own mezuzah. I just need the shema in it. Of course mine looks like a 3rd grader did it.
After this I came back with a couple of people and we cleaned up the apartment while some went food shopping. When we were done cleaning I went with Julia for 5 shek falafel. I splurged and got a coke with it. The coke filled me up, so I saved my falafel for later. I don't drink pop often, so the coke hurt my stomach. My philosophy class is starting to get a little better. We learned about what people think about prophets-if they are born with the power or if God intervenes. We learned about the perspective of the Pagans and some Jews, Philosophers, and Torah scholars. In the Israel Advocacy Class we learned about the Occupation again. We learned about how many times Israel was willing to give back the land for peace and that the land is a territory, not an occupation. So, when people say that it is the occupation that is not allowing the arab-israeli conflict to end, it isn't true at all. The Arabs simply don't want peace because we have been willing to give away our land for a peace agreement, but they have refused-more than once. Also, the land we won in 1967 didn't cause Arab terrorism to start. For example, in 1929, in Hevron, there was a massacre there-forcing all Jews to leave there after being there for 2,000 years.
After class, I came home and we had an apartment meeting with Noa. She wanted to get to know us so we each talked to her for a little. I went first, and then I showered. Boaz was coming and I was planning on him just tagging along with me to go meet the darfurians I was going to tutor in english. He got to the beach right when I was getting on the bus...we just missed each other. It was supposed to take an hour and I felt so bad. On top of that, his phone was really low on battery. Once I talked to him and he didn't seem upset, I found out that it would probably take 3 hours. Oy. Luckily he seemed more than happy...I think he likes the beach. When we got there we had to backtrack for a little. We (Yuval, Michal, Joe, Rach, and Daniel Boman) finally found the place, before we went in, Yuval told us about how this area we are working in isn't safe-especially for girls, and especially at night. There is an under-ground slave trade there and so we have to tell the dad's to pick us up and drop us off the bus stop when we go to tutor their kids.
After sitting and talking with a parent and the coordinator, Michal and I went with this 12 year old boy back to his place. We basically walked back to where we got off the bus. It was starting to rain a little. It was being in a completly different world, even though it was only a 20 minute bus ride. I am getting more comfortable with my hebrew, so I would ask him different questions in hebrew. Yay! Nathan used to work with him, which is so funny and such a coincidence. When we got to his apartment, a woman was holding a baby, maybe it was his mom, not sure though. She was so young and she only spoke arabic. The couches were also beds and more and more adults kept on showing up. As soon as we sat, the boy gave us a glass filled with juice-so nice. We figured out a schedule and got the number from the dad and we got the boy's cell phone number. The dad spoke english and hebrew well. Michal are going to go there every Sunday and Tuesday, starting with next Sunday.
Boaz told me that he went to the mall, so when I got back there I called him and then when I got into the mall I called asking where he was. His phone broke before he could tell me, so for the next 15 minutes I was walking all over the mall. The mall was closing and so I decided that waiting outside the main entrance would be the smartest place. Then I saw him there, he told me that he said on the phone to meet him outside...oops! We decided to go bowling and although I did better than 41 (only a little better) I didn't get a strike or spare :( Boaz got both and did better than me. When we were walking back it was raining a little, nothing more than a drizzle (by Michigan standards.) When we got back to the apartment we hung out with rach, julia, and katie. We were all talking until like 2 and I had volunteering the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment