SUNDAY:
On Sunday Boaz and I had a better game plan to get on the bus. I would push my way on and save seats for us while he put our bags underneath the bus. We ended up sitting in seats across from his commander! He really liked his old commander, but then he got moved somewhere else. Boaz was really upset, especially because the new commander is really tough and doesn't treat them nicely. It is so weird how he wouldn't say hi to his commander and they just don't speak to each other. After waiting for my bus to Arad with Boaz and when it came saying bye, as soon as I got to Arad I had to walk to the office because we had something for shevet then. I got a ride with Boaz and Alex because they saw me walking! We had a guide from Yam Vashem come and we talked a bit about lives of the Holocaust survivors after the war and when they came to Israel. Some were put on Kibbutzs, but they didn't want that life, they wanted to live in metropolitan areas. The survivors just wanted to be free and able to make their own decisions, but Israel and others made decisions for them-some thinking that they were helping the survivors rebuild their lives. People here did not respect or really know what the survivors went through. They were a bit disgusted by them because not many of them did anything to resist--yet, how much could they have done? I learned that this day is not to remember the victims of the Holocaust, but also the ones who were defiant and put up a fight.
After getting a ride back to our apartment by Boaz, I started to work on my Jewish Medical Ethics paper. That night we had a ceremony for Yom HaShoah and then walked to where high school seniors who went to poland put on a show about the difficulties during the Holocaust. They did a really good job. On the way to the theatre, Rach and I were talking about how we only have a month and a half left and we both were so upset. That night after I came home I really worked on my paper. I was hoping I would finish it, but by 1 I was so tired, so I went to bed.
Thursday, April 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment