Thursday, May 6, 2010

TUESDAY:
We woke up early to get on a bus by 7am. We were going to Jerusalem for a MASA all day event. During the bus ride, Rach blogged about Yam l'yam, while I just zoned out. During our break, I saw the ice cream deal and even though it was before 9am, I forced someone (it ended up being Katie) to do the deal with me. Only 8 sheks! Saving 2 sheks!! In the bathroom there was a woman with blonde hair and it looked like it was Bubbe Eleanor. The woman kind of smelled like her too! I was freaking out before she turned around and I saw that it was not her. Also, on the bus ride, I saw soldiers on the side of the road wearing red boots and thought that it could be Boaz…I later asked him and after him laughing at me, he said it wasn’t him.

Similarly how Paris as known as the center for love and America is known for freedoms, Israel should be known as creative. After almost having another falafel for lunch, but then getting a hamburger instead, there was a panel type of thing about being active on their campus. Kind of interesting. There then was an interview with Natan Sharansky. I didn’t know he was such a big deal until I saw so so so many people there and standing up for when he came and when people asked him questions they would have to walk up to one of the microphones and before they spoke they would say how much of an honor it is to hear him speak, etc. His story is incredible-about how after refusing to publicly say that his beliefs about Judaism and Zionism was wrong, the Soviet Union put him in jail for 9 years. He also is just so funny and doesn’t regret going to jail because he learned so much when he was in there. I want to know more about the torture room. A few points he told us, was how important it is to have a strong, Jewish identity, to be a fighter and don’t give in, and to have connections to ties to things you feel strongly about. Two of the people that I met on Desert Queen (adults) were working for him! After he spoke we had a little break and then Rachel had her graduation from BFL (the thing I really wanted to do.) It was nice and me and a few others were annoying parents of Rachel. Katie was the best at taking pictures and being in Rachel’s face.

After that we were a little late to another lecture that was big. We saw Britty! The guy’s big thing was about how important it is to remember the Jewish memory. Kind of similar to Sharansky’s idea of having a strong Jewish identity because with the memory, you can support Israel and Judaism. I forgot to mention how I peed like every 2 minutes. Before Rachel’s graduation, there was a long line, but I didn’t have time, so I went into the guy’s one. Guys were peeing, but I didn’t see anything. It was funny how shocked guys were when I was washing my hands and walked out with them. Hahaha. I ended up getting to Rachel’s thing right on time!

After that lecture, we talked with Britty for a little, before going outside where it was warmer. Something funny was when we first got there, there was a coat check and I had no idea what they were doing until they told me! Hahaha. We saw Britty again and she told us how she might be making aliyah and doing garin tzabar (like Cara, Ale, and Kendall). She wants to be on the same kibbutz as Kendall. So jealous of her. It is always tempting to do garin tzabar, do the army, and then go to university in Israel. If I really don’t like U of M, I am happy that I have this exciting option. I have a feeling that when I get home, I will see how much I like it home, too. We then got dinner, which was packaged sandwiches. It was so gross, I couldn’t eat all of it. We talked with the sofiem and it was so nice to hang out and laugh with. A lady then told us how in a few minutes hundreds of people are going to start to get through security, so if we want to beat the long line, we should go now. We were so nervous that we rushed to the security area. We had to go through security because Bibi was making an appearance, so extreme security check took place. The woman asked where I was from. I responded, “Michigan?” and then realized that I think she wanted to know which program I’m from or where in Israel I am living. Or, she just didn’t care, just wanted to see if I was suspicious. She just made me so confused! She then asked where we were staying tonight. I said Jerusalem and then where and in my head I was like “shit, why didn’t I just say Arad?!” A group of us got asked these questions at the same time, so then I just shut up and let others do the talking.

After getting our hands checked for gun residue and me asking the guy something in Hebrew, but him not even acknowledging what I asked, we went through a detector and then we were in. Rach and I decided to go find our seats. We had so much time and we were just sitting in the pretty much empty area. It only looked like a few people were sitting. The seats were comfortable. After being there for a little over 20 minutes, I decided to practice my Hebrew by asking a guy working there what time it will start. He then asked where we were from and then a woman asked where we were from and then spoke in English telling us that they are still doing sound check and setting up, and we aren’t supposed to be in there. She didn’t know who let us in. Hahahaha. We then had to wait outside with everyone else, where we just chilled and I talked to mom for a little. She thought I said Masada when I said MASA, and I almost hung up on her! When we finally were able to go in, I ended up sitting next to Shira and being by sofiem. There was Israeli music being sung by a band and the words on the screen. It was so fun to sing along and dance crazily. I did know some of the songs. I was so excited when they played the song I learned when I went to the sofiem thing where they auditioned to be in the carivan or work at camps abroad. The group of us all went crazy. Once everything began, it wasn’t long before Bibi walked in and took a seat. Some of the Israelis were so annoyed that people were standing and clapping for him. It was cool to see him. After some student speakers and Britty’s friend having a video and then speaking, Bibi spoke to us. He was telling us how this is our land and welcome home, etc.

After he finished speaking and left, some more people spoke and before we knew it Hadag Nachash came on! It was so fun just to dance. I got to talk to Boaz for more than 2 seconds, which was exciting. The last song was Shirat HaSticker, and then after leaving, getting our stuff from the bus, we eventually walked to Katie’s. On the way, Rach and I stopped and got New Deli, where we ate by the Fountain. It was so delicious and I kind of wished I got my own because it is just so so so good. Not much after we got to Katie’s we went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment