On Sunday, I had to wake up at 8, to be ready for a shevet siyyur by 8:30. I got FOUR hours of sleep. Only like 7 of us showed up for the siyyur-the less the merrier! We took a bus and were in the area I volunteer at for Garin Tzedek. We learned about refugees. For some time we sat on the grass and this guy talked to us about refugees and then talked about the area we are in and where most of them are from and how their lives are. The organization he worked for originated from people seeing 1000 people sleeping in the park and then providing them with blankets and clothing. The organization does a lot by providing bedding and I'm sure other things to try and get these people back on their feet. We walked around the area and at one point we stepped over a pipe that was transferring the pee and poop to a truck. I gagged (like real gags) 2 times. One time I wasn't even breathing through my nose! We went to the building he works in and talked about different questions we have and just what we were thinking about. I brought up how it is difficult to deal with this situation and was so overwhelming. I see what goes on with the refugees and their lives are so hard, but although I am doing something, it isn't much of an effort. I'm not sure if I am just lazy and don't want to make the extra effort. It is hard to pick things that are important and what you want to be dedicated to because there are so many different things that can use attention and help.
After the siyyur I had lunch and then had class. Surprisingly, I didn't fall asleep during the classes. It was really nice out so before class Julia, Rach, and I changed into dresses. I was so happy- maybe that was why I had energy! We had the last part of class for Jewish Philosophy outside. It was nice. After class, I came home quickly and then met Michal to go to Garin Tzedek. When we got there, he wasn't there. He was at ulpan-um thanks for telling us! So then we left, but felt bad because for the rest of the week we are pretty busy and weren't sure when the next time we could go there. I decided to go home and grab some dinner before going back to Tel Aviv and meet Boaz and the CRS. By the time I got home I had about 5 minutes. Cool. I then went back to get on a bus. I was running about 20 minutes late, but it ended up being perfect timing because he called asking where I was when I was 2 minutes away! We both are bad with time.
We then went to allenby and walked to the beach after passing my british friends and them embarrassing me. We walked along the beach for a long time, but it was nice. He was determined to find the really good ice cream place he went to when he stayed in Tel Aviv over the summer with friends in 10th grade. A long time later, it ends up being Aldo. Nothing special, but still really good ice cream. I am still a little mad at aldo for ripping me off in Jerusalem. We ate the ice cream on the beach and then asked people where a bus stop was-I thought we for sure missed the bus. Boaz asked this one guy and then he stumbled through his hebrew and he was an American who had recently moved to Tel Aviv. It was so nice talking to him and funny to see how Americans are (they talk like me) compared to Israelis. He gave us where he think it might be, but said he wasn't 100% sure and didn't want to lead us the wrong way, so it would be better if we asked someone else. Usually I'm the one giving that whole speech! haha. With Israelis they will just say they dont know and walk away. We, Americans, or maybe just all foreigners just want to help everyone ahhahah.
We thought we for sure missed the bus, but were still speed walking and then I saw a bus stop and it didnt say bus numbers 18 or 19, but said 10 and it said that was going to bat yam! Boaz and I were so excited and then as soon as he asked a woman sitting if she knows if the last bus 10 came by, it pulls up!!!!! It was such good luck! We kept on joking and saying that whatever happens God wanted to happen. Once we got on the bus, a police car was blocking the road for about 20 minutes. Boaz and I didn't care that we were sitting on the bus waiting because we were just so happy to be on it!! I then realized I had my hebrew homework and I wanted him to help me, and now would be a perfect time! After him (trying) to read the intro that was in english, and we got to my homework, the bus started to move again. The bus went a little past the beach, so we had to walk about 10-15 minutes to my apartment....nothing compared to how much we walked on the beach. I forgot to mention that I saw the beach that had different days for men and women. Love it! I want a picture of the sign. We then played some taki, talked with Rach and then he helped me with my homework. He only helped me with the stories and having to write the endings of stories or letters to different characters. I had grammar stuff to do, but it was easy, so I would just do it the next day. For some reason I didn't get to bed until around 4, once again.
Oh, and it was really warm again and I wasn't cold in a tee shirt and jeans. I had a scarf on, but still...curazy!

No comments:
Post a Comment